Plumbing Tips for the Spring Season
The changing seasons means it's time for a little "spring cleaning" to keep your home's plumbing in proper working order and prevent bigger problems in the future. Staten Plumbing is pleased to provide these handy maintenance tips to protect your home against plumbing problems.
Kitchen & Bathrooms
Appliances & Fixtures
- Check your dishwasher, washing machine and ice maker supply hoses for bulges or leaks. Replace any hoses showing signs of weakness or older than ten years. Use stainless steel hoses wherever possible, which are more reliable and less prone to bursting than other types.
- Clean out your washing machine lint trap, if equipped, and place a wire trap or a piece of pantyhose over the end of the hose that drains the washer.
- Check the temperature setting on your home's water heater. It should be set no higher than 120°F to prevent scalding and reduce energy consumption.
- Carefully drain several gallons from the water heater tank to flush out any corrosion causing sediment, which reduces heating efficiency and shortens the life of the heater. Check your water heater manufacturer 's website for specific instructions concerning your make and model, or call Staten Plumbing for help with this procedure.
- Consider replacing a water heater more than 15 years old. (The first four numbers of the serial number represent the month and year it was made.) Newer water heaters are more energy efficient. Staten Plumbing can assist with water heater repair or replacement.
- Make sure to keep any flammable materials far away from your water heater or furnace.
General Household Plumbing
- Install a backflow valve in the floor drain if you live in an area where sewers sometimes backup into homes. This device will prevent future backups.
- Inspect for slow leaks in your home by taking a reading on your water meter before bedtime. The next morning, without using any water overnight, take another reading. If the reading has changed you have a leak that should be repaired. Learn more about Staten Plumbing's leak detection services.
- Pour a gallon of water into infrequently used drains (including floor drains) to fill the trap and prevent odors from entering the house. Slow floor drains should be snaked to ensure they will carry away water quickly in the event of a flood. Call Staten Plumbing for help with clogged or slow-draining drains.
- If your home has a sump pump, make sure it operates properly by pouring a few buckets of water into the sump pit. The pump should quickly turn on, discharge the water then shut off without any problems.
- Check exposed pipes under sinks and in the basement or crawlspace for any signs of leaks.
- Install flood alarms. Like a smoke alarm, a flood alarm is a battery-operated device that sounds an alarm when it comes in contact with water and alerts you to potential flooding or leaks.
Outside Your Home
- Check faucets and hose bibs to make sure water flows freely. If an outdoor faucet drips or if there is leakage inside your home the first time the hose is turned on, you may have had a frozen pipe that cracked and needs to be replaced. See how Staten Plumbing can help you with your outdoor plumbing needs.
- Make sure yard drains, gutters and downspouts are cleaned out, open, and free of debris.
- Check for bird nests in plumbing vent pipes.
Our skilled plumbing experts are highly trained, licensed and insured, and 100% committed to ensuring your complete satisfaction with the quality of our work and our dedicated customer service. We take pride in what we do and maintaining a reputation for excellence in customer service and providing reliable plumbing solutions for both residential and commercial customers throughout the Southeast. We are members of the Better Business Bureau
. Check out our positive reviews on Facebook
Call us Today at (864) 520-1138 for Priority Plumbing Service!
"Staten came out to my home and did an awesome job. I would tell anyone that needed plumbing work done to call Staten. They were on time and did a great job."
"Best in town! Great friendly service and was able to come out asap! Highly recommend Staten plumbing and all of there staff!"
"Dustin did a great job!! Diagnosed our water pressure problem quickly, adjusted the pressure, found blockages in two lines, and had the water pressure back to normal in no time. Wonderful job!! We'd call him again in a minute!!"
"Dean Allen is amazing person and help my family out. This company have amazing service and responded was really good. I will highly recommend them to anyone."
"Dean and Steven did a great job diagnosing issues with our water pressure and resulting problems with water heater. They were quick and efficient with the installation of the heater and pressure release valve and explained how to operate them after they finished. I highly recommend Staten!"
"Dean Burns and Steven Glenn got everything done that I needed at a fair price. Very professional, fast and great workmanship. I will be calling them for now on for all my plumbing needs. I highly recommend Staten Plumbing."
"I'd definitely use these guys again. One of my rentals had a water heater go out in the crawl space and it was 25° outside - but didn't stop them from changing it out for me. On time, finished by lunch and back in service. Thanks guys!"
"Greatest experience with a plumbing company! I called at 5:30am, the call was answered and a technician called back with an appointment time. They were prompt, did a great job and reasonably priced. I highy recommend Staten."
"I had a problem with my kitchen sink leaking and called Staten. The technician was on time, thorough, considerate & even helped me with a fridge. Cost was on par with other companies and I would recommend Staten."
"Dean and Big Tommy took care of a custom pipe configuration for me in less than an hour. Super great guys to deal with and they know their plumbing."
"Today, my house flooded because the toilet valve busted. Staten plumbing arrived quickly and the plumber, John, was friendly and fixed the issue right away. I would highly recommend this professional business."
"Excellent service and promptly responded to request for immediate service. Dean and Antwan were very professional and personable. Highly recommend."
"Fantastic! Fixed all of my water problems! Saved me a bunch of money on my next water bill."
"Omgeeeee!!! Gregory was on time! He was polite!! He went above and beyond in His excellent service. What a guy!! He cleaned up as he went and installed the equipment with expertise!!! I am recommending him to everyone I know!!! Great job..with humor!!"
"Awesome work! Greg came out, same day, to address my problem. He was extremely hard working, polite, friendly, and solved my problem as he worked into the nighttime hours. Oh, and he did the job for the best price too! Highly recommend!"
"Man, are these guys good! We had some gurgling in our tubs and sinks, so we called them out. Not only did they fix our issue, but they found and fixed another problem at our house caused by another local plumbing company. They were on time, effecient, and even left me with some things we could do ourselves so they wouldn't have to address this problem again. Great team! Thank you Greg and Dean!"
Priority Plumbing Service
For the fastest plumbing service available, call us today for 24/7 Priority Plumbing Service.
No job is too big or too small, and we are available most any time you need us.
Schedule Plumbing Service
Or to schedule an appointment please click the Service Request button above and we will promptly contact you during normal business hours. Once we receive the request for service, a licensed plumber will be dispatched in a fully-stocked service van with all the right tools to get the job done.
Our skilled plumbing experts are highly trained, licensed and insured, and 100% committed to ensuring your complete satisfaction with the quality of our work and our dedicated customer service.